Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies

For Mother's Day, my dear Mother gave me a great cookbook called
Sunday Dinner Cookbook by Betty Crocker.
As I flipped through it, I realized that many of the recipes could easily be
adapted to using food storage items.
One that particularly caught my interest was a Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that called for "Bisquick Mix". I had made some up for the Powdered Milk class we had a couple of weeks ago and have been looking for ways to use it. So...I thought I would give it a try.
I thought the cookies turned out great. They had great form and great flavor. When I tasted one directly out of the oven, I could still taste a little of the Bisquick Mix, but within minutes it was undetectable. I used a small cookie scoop to measure out the dough (although it is completely unnessary) and had small/medium sized cookies in the end. If you prefer a bigger cookie use more than a 2 Tablespoon scoop. It is definitely a cookie I will make again and it couldn't have been quicker using the pre-made Bisquick Mix!

Bisquick Mix

10 c. flour

2 1/2 t. salt

1 2/3 c. nonfat dry milk

1 2/3 c. shortening

1/3 c. baking powder

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in a large container (6-8 quart capacity). Cut in shortening with pastry blender or mixer until fine crumbs are obtained and shortening is evenly dispersed. Store , tightly covered, in refrigerator. Use within 3 months

Chocolate Chip Cookies

For perfectly shaped cookies, use a small ice-cream scoop

to drop cookie dough onth the cookie sheet

1/2 c. margarine or butter, softened

1 c. packed brown sugar

2 t. vanilla

1 egg

2 3/4 c. Bisquick Mix

1 c. chocolate chips

1/2 c. chopped nuts, if desired

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and egg in large bowl. Stir in Bisquick mix, chocolate chips and nuts.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet; flatten slightly.

Bake about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.


No comments: