Monday, April 19, 2010

Peas!!

If you haven’t done so already…it is not too late to plant peas.  Peas love cooler weather and are very easy to grow, so plant a handful of seeds in a sunny part of your yard and see what happens.

One helpful tip when planting peas is to soak them over night.  They get nice and plump and have a head start on sprouting, so they will be poking their heads through the ground in no time!

IMG_4186

These are my sugar snap peas straight from the bag.

IMG_4150

And this is after a soaking overnight.  The difference is amazing isn’t it!

Just plant these guys about 2 inches apart and watch them grow!

I grew mine up a trellis last year and am going to try and grow them up pieces of string this year.  When I get it set up, I will let you know how it works…cross your fingers!

P.S. it is also not too late to plant, lettuce, spinach, radishes, and parsley they also like the cooler temperatures!

3 comments:

Church Fam said...

You are amazing. I love all your tips. I am trying out square foot gardening right now. I am on round two right now. During the winter (it is AZ) I got tons of carrots and letuce. But the letuce was bitter or just needed lots and lots of dressing. Any ideas how to grow good tasting letuce? Hope all is well. miss ya

Jac said...

Hey cute Tiff! I am no lettuce expert, but most of the time, my lettuce is bitter if #1 the weather gets too hot and #2 if I have let it grow too long. Do you think any of those issues could be causing your bitter lettuce?
You may also want to investigate what lettuce varieties grow best in AZ. Not all varities are created equal.
Wish I was planting all year round! Good luck and let me know how it goes next time around!

Suzanne said...

I am SO planting some peas...I'm glad it's not too late! Any suggestions on where to buy the seeds? And I still need to have you come over and take a peek at my garden space. I need your expertise! I'll be excited to get all of your gardening tips these next few months...