Monday, May 17, 2010

Make Your Own Bread Flour

When it comes to storing baking ingredents I am a minimalist. I have all-purpose flour on hand, but I don't store a lot as I prefer whole wheat flour. I do every now and again, come across recipes that call for "bread flour" and sadly disregard them as I don't have a lot of storage in my kitchen and well, I am a minimalist.

The great news is, you can make your own bread flour with just two simple ingredients...click HERE to get the Damsels tips!

4 comments:

Blue said...

whole wheat: check
wheat grinder: check
dough enhancer: check
vital wheat gluten: check
yeast: check
salt: check
water: check

any clue how to make bread by hand, without the fancy machine to do all the mixing and kneeding and proofing: Clueless.

so it's there, just waiting for me to surmount my mental barriers and figure it out. i was rarin' to go for a bit, but lost my drive. hoping i re-discover it this summer, cause i loves me LOVES ME some homemade whole wheat bread. thanks for this tip! ♥

Suzanne said...

Hey, that's awesome! Good thing I always have some vital wheat gluten on hand! Who knew it was that easy??

Steph Bruce said...

Thanks for the tip, I also have wondered about this!

Blue said...

Just so I don't have to go to her blog when I forget this in the future, here's what she says:

It’s ridiculously easy to make all-purpose flour into bread flour. Just add 1 tablespoon of vital wheat gluten/gluten flour per cup of all-purpose flour to your recipe. You don’t have to mix it into the flour ahead of time or say any magic words. Just add it as part of the flour measurement.

That. Is. All.