Thursday, August 13, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

In an effort to use up the zucchini I grated the other day, I decided to make another "zuke" recipe...this time a sweet one!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake!
I started by creaming together the white and brown sugar, butter and oil.

I then started to add the rest of my wet ingredients and realized that it called for buttermilk...which I didn't have...so I just made some :)!


1/2 cup milk to 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon (or vinegar). Let it sit for 5 minutes. There you have it...
Homemade Buttermilk!



After mixing all of my wet ingredients up, I started to combine my dry ingredients...flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda,unsweetened cocoa powder and allspice...aagghh, allspice! What is that! I don't have any allspice! So, once again, I just made my own :)! Love Google!



Homemade Allspice- equal parts cinnamon, nutmeg, ground clover and black pepper. I used 1 teaspoon of each.




Mix all of your dry ingredients together and slowly add to your wet ingredients.



Already looking good isn't it!




Once it is nice and combined and has a neat looking swirl like this one...




Add your grated zucchini.




And mix it up smooth.




Put it in a 9x13 inch pan and sprinkle it with 1 cup chocolate chips...mine are looking a little old, but they melted up nicely...luckily! Then, put it in a 325 degree oven for 45 minutes.




When its done, you get something that looks like this. I am telling you, those chocolate chips are a wonderful addition to this cake! After it has cooled, frost with your favorite frosting. Mine is chocolate...plain and simple.



And for all of your hard work, you get this. I am telling you, this is one tasty, tasty cake. It is beyond just your average chocolate cake. Wonderfully rich, wonderfully moist, wonderfully tasty. Pair it up with a little ice cream and you won't even know what hit you. Make some today, you will be glad you did!
Mom's Chocolate Zucchini Cake
by tessabella76
1 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup Granulated White Sugar
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
3 whole Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 cup Buttermilk
2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoon Baking Soda
4 Tablespoons Cocoa
2 cups Grated Zucchini
1 cup Chocolate Chips
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, cream the sugars, butter, and oil. Add eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk. Mix well. Mix dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients. Stir in zucchini. Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle top with chocolate chips. Bake for 45 minutes or until knife or toothpick comes out clean. Let cool, then frost with your favorite frosting.
Chocolate Frosting
6 Tablespoons Butter
2 2/3 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Baking Cocoa
1/3 Cup Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
Cream butter. Add powdered sugar and cocoa and slowly mix together while adding the milk. Finish off with the vanilla. Easy, Peasy.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Greetings Jac!
I just had to tell you...I made this cake for my folks yesterday...DELICIOUS!! Thanks for sharing!! I don't think my Dad even knew that there was zucchini in it!!