Friday, August 28, 2009

My Next Great Adventure


Growing up, we always had a garden. It was one grown out of need rather than want, but it was a great blessing for my family. My Mom became a Master Gardener as well as a Master Preserver (is "preserver" a word?). Our garden produced far more than we could eat, so my Mom found ways to preserve it for use throughout the year.

One staple was bottled fruit and veggies. Too be honest, I don't remember eating them much, but our storage room was lined with bottled peaches, pears, tomatoes, etc. Stored food was a critical element to our family making ends meet. Canning was an valuable skill.

Because of this I decided to embark on a new adventure. One that would require a list of important items. So, I went out and got...

One of these.



This black beauty.

One red funnel.




A jar lifter.




A couple cases of these.



And a 20 lb. box of these.

Tomorrow is the day. The day I will tackle my goal for the summer of 2009...
bottling peaches...
without my mother.

I will let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Wow, I am truly impressed! I'll be very eager to hear how it goes! Canning scares me for some reason...

bigal said...

We've never done more than jam (mmm...pear jam), so I'm interested to see how this goes. Good luck!

Heather said...

Peaches are easy...YOU CAN DO IT!! You are awesome!!