Monday, August 10, 2009

Zucchini Casserole

My garden is now in heavy production mode. I love it! I love to watch things grow...but what am I to do with all of this produce? That is question I asked myself yesterday. Hence the creation of this post and a slew of posts to follow...what to do with zucchini and other tasty garden produce.
My zucchini plant is on overdrive...as most are. My challenge with this is that I am the only one in my family that LOVES zucchini, so I spent some time yesterday finding different recipes that will help me use my produce in creative ways. Here is the first...Zucchini Casserole



Here are a few fruits of my labors that will be going into this particular recipe.


You start off my sauteing your onion. Mine made me cry...terribly...but fresh onion is worth every tear!



Next grate your zucchini. If you have a food processor, use it...it will make for quick and easy work.


Now that you have that, you can start adding all of your ingredients into a large mixing bowl.



Make sure and beat your eggs a little bit before you add them.



And try making your own Bisquick rather than using the store bought variety (which is totally fine if that is what you have on hand.) This particular recipe uses half whole wheat flour and oil rather than shortening...give it a try.



Now your recipe is almost complete...




...but don't forget those onions...tasty little things.




And mix it all up.




Put it all into a greased 9 inch pie plate and stick it in a 350 degree oven.




When it is done you will have this! It is one tasty treat. And the best part is...even "non-zucchini lovers" will devour this...my husband went back for seconds. The heavens were singing! I made mine for dinner, but it would be a tasty breakfast and an even tastier brunch. So, give it try!




Zucchini Casserole

by KarenPie


1 whole onion (finely chopped)

1/3 cups oil

1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated

4 whole eggs, slightly beaten

1 teaspoon parsley

3 cups zucchini, grated

1 cup cheddar cheese, grated

1 cup Bisquick (I use homemade, the recipe is below)


Lightly saute the onion in some of the oil. While the onion is cooking, combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Don't forget the rest of the oil. Add the cooked onion and pour the mixture into a greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees, until golden brown across the top.


Homemade Bisquick

by KarenPie


4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup baking powder

1 tablespoon salt

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1-1/2 cups instant dry milk powder

1/4 cups sugar

1-3/4 cup canola oil


Mix all dry ingredients together in the bowl of your mixer. With the mixer running, pour oil in a steady, thin stream over the dry ingredients. Mix well. Store in a large, air-tight container in the freezer. Makes 13 cups.

6 comments:

Marianne said...

Yum, that does look tasty! If I can make it through the onion, I'll have to give it a try!

Suzanne said...

Seriously...how necessary IS the onion? Fresh or not, I just plain can't stand the things. I leave them out of almost every recipe I make. But the rest of it looks really good! So...can I borrow some zucchini??

Jodi Nelson said...

This looks YUMMY!!! Cindy upstairs has a massive new garden, with lots of zucchini... i so need to try it. Thanks mucho for sharing!!

Church Fam said...

Yumm!!!! You are great at taking the pictures that make me want to really really want to eat it

Pink Posts said...

How much baking powder was that on the homemade bisquick? Looks like a good recipe.

Jac said...

Sorry!! You need 1/2 cups of baking powder for the Homemade Bisquick. That is what I get for typing too fast I guess. Happy cooking!