Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Powdered Milk and a Little Rambling

Yesterday was the day I determined to be food storage inventory day. My husband was not working and it was definitely a two person job. I will be honest...it was not very much fun, very tedious, but incredibly rewarding as I am reminded of what I have and what I no longer need to buy 50 of at the next case lot sale. There is a peace I now feel, one that comes from just organizing myself and being able to spend my money wisely. I have a lot of stored food, but there is still a lot I need and even though I am not completely finished (in the way I desire), I feel peace.

In my inventory I came across my powdered milk...oh what to do with powdered milk! It is probably one of the most expensive food storage items, but one of the most necessary. Why is it so necessary? The main reason is it is a good source of Protein. It also is a good source of Vitamins A & D, Calcium, Riboflavin, and Phosphorus.

Now there are different kinds of powdered milk out there. In the actual powdered milk category you have instant and non-instant...then you have the milk alternative category. You will want to be aware of the difference to know what you would like to store.

The major difference between instant and non-instant is the way you make it. Instant can be made in cold water and is mixed up in a "instant". Non-instant needs to be made in hot water and needs to be stirred for awhile to make sure it is all fully mixed in. The milk from the Cannery is Non-Instant. Whereas Country Cream and most varieties sold at the grocery store, i.e. Carnation, Kroger, etc. are Instant. The protein content is about 8 grams per serving

Morning Moo is an example of a milk alternative. It is a blend of dairy and non-dairy ingredients. The protein content is 3 grams per serving (not very much). Some people like the taste better, but it is full of ingredients that are hard to pronounce...sodium caseinate, dipotassium phosphate, propylene glycol, etc. It also has hydrogenated vegetable oil and corn syrup solids. If those things bother you, you might want to consider just purchasing regular powdered milk.

Next...how do I know what brand of milk to buy?

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Well, Dad won't be drinking Morning Moo with all those hard to pronounce ingredients!!