Thursday, February 26, 2009

Where do I put all this stuff?

If you have ever felt overwhelmed with where to put all of your stored food...you are not alone. It is a challenge many face and at times it takes a little creativity.

When I was first married, my husband and I were given food storage for Christmas. I was actually quite excited about it, but once we got back to our apartment, I looked around wondering where in the world I would put it. There was no storage room...no extra rooms for that matter. We decided to allocate one side of the closet for food storage. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. When we bought our first home, our food storage room was tiny. To make better use of space my husband built shelves on one side of the room and we stacked buckets on the other. Space was tight, but it was easily accessible and very usable.

Other areas to consider are under a bed in a shallow plastic bin, in a bookcase (unless it is in your front room :) ), also look for empty space in cabinets where you could mount additional shelves (like to the door), they make great ones for the pantry that hold many additional food items.

When planning where to put your food storage, try and put it in a cool, dark place if at all possible. Storing under these conditions will greatly increase the shelf life. If you do not have a place like this available, just do the best you can...the best you can is good enough. If you would like to get some additional small space ideas click HERE.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

My issue is that I don't trust my food storage room for anything other than cans or jars. I'm nervous about mold. And it smells funny. So my pantry cupboard is filled to overflowing, with no organization whatsoever. And it doesn't help that my kids are constantly getting into it and rearranging things. I just need one more closet. I have to figure something out...it's driving me crazy...