Monday, June 8, 2009

Homemade Baby Food

I know this post does not apply to everyone...but I just think it is a very "provident" thing to do, so if you have far surpassed needing baby food, pass the info onto a friend.

I personally started to make my own baby food this past year. My motivation was a financial one and I knew I would save TONS of money making my own rather than purchasing it....so I went to the library, checked out a few books on the topic and was well on my way.

I started simple, just copied the "Gerber 1st" Foods and the results were amazing. Not only did I save a lot of money, but my baby LOVED to eat it! This food actually had flavor! I have been just kicking myself that I didn't make my own baby food for my other children.

Here are the basics of what I do...

Steam the fruits and veggies until they are cooked through, puree them up in my blender, and fill up ice cube trays full of food to freeze until a later date.



Once frozen, I label and date a freezer bag and fill 'er up.

I then put my nicely labeled bag into a plastic container that is already full of other labeled bags and stick it back in my freezer.


When I am ready to serve it up, I take one serving (2 food cubes, this is potatoes and carrots) and warm it up in the microwave until it is nice and steamy. Then I just let it cool on the counter for awhile until it is just slightly warm. (Although this picture does not show them slightly warm...more like totally frozen, but you get the idea :)!)

Voila! Lickity split! Yummy, tasty baby food.
This week we will be talking tips, recipes, fussy eaters, etc. So come on back now ya hear!
P.S. Joey, if you are out there...we are missing Tips From The Coop! Come back soon!

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Love the homemade baby food! Thanks for the inspiration! Just curious...how long do you usually let it cool after microwaving?