Monday, June 22, 2009

Wheat Week

I love using freshly ground wheat flour. I started using it slowly, mostly just in bread making, but over the last few years I have started to use it in almost everything...almost :). This week I thought I would post a few of my favorite recipes using whole wheat flour.
30-Day Bran Muffins
This is a favorite year round. You mix up the batter of these tasty muffins and let it sit in your fridge for up to 30 days. So when I want a muffin or two, or twelve, I just pull out the bowl, fill up a few muffins tins and 20 minutes later...viola! Wonderfully, healthy bran muffins!
Here is a little play by play.

Here is the muffin batter...I would have taken pictures of each step of preparation, but you would have gotten a little bored...it is SO easy!


I scoop a bit of batter into each baking cup and then fill them up with blueberries (you don't have to but in berries if you just want a nice, plain muffin). Summer is high season for berries, so watch for them to go on sale at the grocery store, unless of course you grow your own. This batch of blueberries only cost me 99 cents for 6 oz. (if you are worried about stocking up because you can't eat them fast enough, just stick them in the freezer...they will stay good for months, at least for use in baking!)



Look at those berries...Beautiful!!



I scoop a little more batter on top so the berries are nice and nestled.



Then smooth it out on top and stick it in the oven.



At the end of it all, I am rewarded with this! Look at how those blueberries exploded! Aagghh...I can't wait to have a bite! Make some today...you will be glad you did!!

30-Day Bran Muffins (Favorites Cookbook)

4 cups All-Bran cereal

2 cups boiling water

1 cup butter

2 1/2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 quart buttermilk

5 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

5 cups whole wheat flour

2 cups Bran Flakes cereal

Pour boiling water over All-Bran cereal and let sit. Cream butter and sugar; add eggs then dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk. Mix in All-Bran and water mixture. Last of all, stir in Bran Flakes. This batter stores in the fridge for 30 days and makes dozens of muffins! Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes in greased or paper-lined muffin tins.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Why have I never thought of putting blueberries in these?? That is brilliant! Good thing I am only halfway through my batter...and I still have blueberries in my freezer! I'm making some tomorrow! Yummy!