Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Topsy Turvy

For years I have watched those "Topsy Turvy" infomercials and wondered if they were really as great as they advertised. When I spotted one early this season, I thought I would try it out for myself...and so it begins, my journey with a Topsy Turvy...

It all began with a small cherry tomato plant that was very confused which way was up.
With nourishment and great care (and a lot of water) my confused plant turned into a small bush.



A real beauty isn't she! What she lacks in size she more than makes up in quality. :)! OK, not really, she actually has been a slow bloomer and compared with her sister that was planted in my grow box...she is a real runt.



The plant on the far right is her container mate...there is a bit of a size difference. OK, a HUGE size difference!




But after all is said and done, she is producing these...and that is why she was planted...good job my little confused tomato plant who resides in a Topsy Turvy!
All joking aside, if you have ever considered using a Topsy Turvy for garden production...here is what I have learned.
  • Make sure the plant you put in it has a base stem that is at least as thick as a pencil. Mine wasn't and although it figured it out, it was a bit behind the curve.
  • Use a good potting soil and good plant food when you start out. This is the only nourishment, other than sun and water of course, your plant will get. And I think your results will be MUCH better if you use good, high nourishing stuff.
  • Make sure your plant gets plenty of water. They dry out much faster than anything planted in the ground.
  • Hang your basket in a VERY sturdy place. When you fill that bag up with soil and water, it is VERY heavy.
  • Although your plant may (and probably will) do much better than mine, don't expect a huge harvest. My plant is clearly not huge and will not produce an endless supply of cherry tomatoes. But...that is just what I wanted ( as you can tell by the size of my other tomato plants). I will love having a tomato plant right outside my kitchen
    where I can grab a handful of tomatoes to toss on my salad.

So there you have it...my take on the Topsy Turvy. Do with it what you wish. If anyone has had a different experience with one, I would love to hear it!

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Wow, your other cherry tomato plant really is huge! Do you always have to hand water the Topsy Turvy or could it get watered by sprinklers if it was in the right spot? I'd like to experiment with those next year because I have such limited space!

Jac said...

There is just a small hole on the top of the Topsy Turvy, so I don't think the sprinklers would water it very well. It isn't much trouble to water it by hand though, and if you don't have much space...it is a great way to grow veggies (even Zucchini)!

Suzanne said...

Seriously? You can grow zucchini in those? That's awesome! I may have to try it out next year as well. I can't believe how big your other tomato plants are! Mine is plugging along. I need to get a cage for it...what do you suggest?