Thursday, July 2, 2009

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls

These cinnamon rolls are to die for...seriously...OK, they may not be worth death, but they are seriously good, seriously addicting, you should seriously make them!

Start by making the Foolproof Bread Recipe. If you would like the step by step instructions, click HERE.


Once your dough is made, divide it into three equal parts.



Then, roll out the dough into a nice, even rectangle.



It doesn't have to be perfect, as you can see, you just want your large "roll" to be as even as possible.


Then sprinkle with your toppings. I use cinnamon and brown sugar. The great thing about these cinnamon rolls is you don't need to lather the dough with butter. Nice and healthy...well, mostly. I actually like to make my own brown sugar, it is AWESOME!! If you would like the recipe...
Brown Sugar
1 Cup sugar
1-4 Tablespoons molasses (depending on desired flavor.) I use 2
Stir together with a wire whisk.



Top generously.



Then roll it up, nice and even.




Now it is time to slice it up. I have a sharp knife I use, but you can also use yarn, string or even dental floss (unflavored).





Lay them out on a jelly roll pan...if you have parchment paper, use it! It makes prep and clean-up SO easy. Then let them raise on your counter until they are double in size.




When they come out of the oven they should be nicely golden brown in color.




I like to frost them right when they get out of the oven, that way the icing just melts all over the rolls...I am telling you, crazy delicious!



At the end you get this. Whoa!


Make some today...you will be glad you did!!
Cinnamon Rolls (makes 1 dozen)
1/3 FOOLPROOF BREAD RECIPE (I usually make two/three loaves of bread and one pan cinnamon rolls.)
Roll into rectangle 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, and any other topping you would like (I just do brown sugar and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon). Roll as a jelly roll. Cut 3/4 thick. Place in 1/2 size bun pan covered in parchment paper (I use a jelly roll pan). Let rise until almost double in bulk. When raised bake in 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. Ice and remove from pan while still warm.
FROSTING:
2 C powdered sugar
1/4 C soft butter
2 TB water
1tsp vanilla

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

LOVE the step by step photos. But I swear, I cannot get my dough to ever be so rectangular shaped. It makes your cinnamon rolls look so perfect! I need some serious practice, I guess. And why does your frosting stay so nice and thick and white? Mine always melts and becomes almost clear. My mouth is slightly watering, however...

Jac said...

Suzanne, the only thing I can think of in regards to the white frosting, is that mine might be a little thicker. Too thick and it doesn't even melt down, but try and just add a little less water and see if it makes a difference!!