Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The ULTOMATO!!!

I was recently asked in a comment what tomato cage I would suggest...oh, have I found a spectacular one!!!
THE ULTOMATO
tomato cage!!!
I am telling you...this truly is the ultimate tomato cage and I will tell you why it has worked so well for me.
  1. They are long lasting. The posts are made from a poly plastic material that will not rust and will last season after season.
  2. The side supports are adjustable. So if you are like me and your tomatoes tend to get away from you, you can just trim the plant, open up the tomato cage, and put it all back into the support without breaking a thing.
  3. They do not fall over. My tomato plants are HUGE this year and the cages are holding strong!

They are sold in containers that look like this. I bought mine at Home Depot for around $9.00. I wonder if they might be cheaper now considering most of the planting season is behind us.

This is what they look like all set up.


And this is one of mine. I pruned my plant down to nearly nothing, stuffed the limbs back in the cage and wondered what I had done. My tomato plant looked more like a tree than than a bush. But...tomatoes like a little pruning, it allows the fruit to grow bigger and as you can tell, it doesn't take long to fill right back out!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Awesome! I'm so glad I asked! Looks like I'm heading to Home Depot today!

Blue said...

any tips on where/how to prune them? mine aren't really that impressive this year. they were insane in vermont, but the climate was so different there. i water them regularly, but none of them are staked or caged. maybe that's my problem. i just planted them and keep them watered.

i'm not all that much of a gardener.