Monday, September 14, 2009

Another Idea...Frozen Peach Cocktail

Let me just start off by saying that I love peaches, not just a little bit, a lot. I eat two or three everyday. So, if there is anyway I can preserve them and enjoy them during the months my trees lie dormant, I jump on it.

One challenge with peaches is they don't stay good forever. If left in a warm place (somewhere other than the refrigerator), peaches will continue to ripen and can become too soft and even moldy if left for too long. I found myself in this predicament last week and needed a quick and delicious way to preserve my peaches. Luckily my Mom told me about a Frozen Peach Cocktail she was making and after hearing the ingredient list...I ran straight to the store to make my own!



Frozen Peach Cocktail



First peel and cube your peaches.





Then, put in 1 cup of sugar to every 3 lbs. of peaches.



Mix 'er all up.




After letting it sit for a little while, add 1 can of crushed pineapple (per 3 lbs. of peaches), undrained.





Now here come the tasty part. Add 3 cups orange juice (not from concentrate). It sounds good already, doesn't it! (I am making a double batch).




Then go about juicing your lemons. I am sure you don't HAVE to have fresh lemon juice...I just thought it sounded good.





Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze...





Until you have 1 cup (that is for a double batch).





Put the juices into your peach/pineapple mixture.





Then just bag it up and put it in the freezer until you need it.


Very easy and Very tasty!


Frozen Peach Cocktail

3 lbs. (12 medium) fresh peaches
2 cups sugar
1 can (15-1/4 oz) crushed pineapple, undrained
1/2 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
1 1/2 orange juice (3 oranges)
Peel peaches; cute into bite sized pieces to make 6 cups. Sprinkle with sugar; set aside. After a few minutes stir in pineapple, orange juice and lemon juice. Spoon into plastic freezer containers; freeze. To serve while still frosty (which is when it is best), allow to stand at room temperature about 3 hours. Bananas may be added at serving time.
Makes 6 pints

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Yum, that does look good! So lemon juice out of a bottle is OK to use? I don't have one of those juicers. And what would you consider a good deal on peaches? (Since I don't have a tree in my backyard...)

Suzanne said...

Looks like a tasty treat! Frozen peaches are always yummy! I may have to try that one out...assuming I can find a good deal on peaches as well!

Jac said...

I bought a 10-12 lb. box of peaches up the street at one of the fruit stands for $12. I thought that was a good deal on great peaches. Right now is a great time to buy fruit at those seasonal stands because they are trying to sell off their produce quick.