Saturday, January 24, 2009

Vital Wheat Gluten and Dough Enhancer

Since posting the "Foolproof Bread" recipe, I have been asked a couple of questions I thought might be worthy of a post.

Question #1: What is vital wheat gluten and dough enhancer?

Answer: Wheat Gluten is a natural protein derived from wheat or wheat flour. Wheat gluten is wheat flour with the starch removed. Vital Wheat Gluten has the ability to be highly elastic when water is added. This sets it apart from all another available vegetable proteins. Wheat gluten rapidly absorbs about twice its weight in water. This results in increased yield, dough strength, and extended shelf life or "vitality", hence the name, "Vital Wheat Gluten". Vital Wheat Gluten is approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration for use as a dough strengthener, formulation aid, nutrient supplement, increasing the protein level of the flour, processing aid, stabilizer and thickener, and texturing agent. It is often used in specialty breads.



Dough Enhancer is used to give your breads a softer texture, a longer shelf life, better flavor, and and increased strength. Dough Enhancer combines whey and soy lecithin (a natural emulsifier) to soften and condition your whole grain and basic flour doughs. Tofu powder and citric acid help to strengthen the elasticity of the dough and increase the shelf life of the finished baked goods. With a small amount of dry active yeast and additional ascorbic acid (vitamin C), the Dough Enhancer, along with all natural sea salt and spice blends, will improve the texture, taste, and dough strength of all your baked goods.

Dough Enhancer is primarily used in making bread/pizza dough, but can also be added to cookies and cakes.

Basic Breads - 1 Tbsp. per 4 cups of flour.
Cookies and Cakes - 1 Tbsp. per standard batch.
Automatic Bread Machines - 2 Tsp. per loaf.
Pizza Dough - 1 Tbsp. per 4 cups flour.


Both of these items can be purchased at many local grocery stores as well as The Bosch Kitchen Store.

Question #2: How should I store my dough enhancer and vital wheat gluten?

Answer: Before it is opened, store your vital wheat gluten and dough enhancer in a cool, dry place. The cooler the temperature, the longer the storage life. These two items can last as long as 7-10 years in an unopened state. After it is opened, it is largely up to you as where to store it. It you are making bread frequently, as I do, they can just be stored in a kitchen cabinet. But, as a general rule... shelf life is extended if it is refrigerated after opening.

Hope this is helpful!

4 comments:

Danielle&Lincoln said...

I am SO SO glad you posted all that because I was clueless about all that stuff! One more question can you buy it anywhere?

Jac said...

Cute Danielle! You can get these items at some grocery stores, I think Macey's carries them. To be honest, I always buy it at the Bosch Kitchen Store that is on Highland Dr. and about 6200 South. I will keep my eyes open for it at other places though! You are the best!

Suzanne said...

Question: what happens to your bread if you use wheat gluten and dough enhancer that are expired? I just found an unopened container of each that I know I've had since I got married...that means it's more than 9 years old. I know that's the end of its shelf life...is it worth testing it out, or should I just buy new stuff?

Jac said...

Suzanne, I would for test them out first. When things like that are in an unopened state, the shelf life can be considerably longer (especially if they have been stored in a cool location). That being said, I would still stock up on some new wheat gluten and dough enhancer, because they will be going on sale at the Bosch Kitchen Store here in a few weeks.