Monday, January 26, 2009

Warehouse Clubs vs. The Grocery Store

I love shopping at warehouse clubs! I don't know what is about them, but I love them. Even if I am on vacation (yes, even in Hawaii) and I find out there is a Costco...I have to go! I have also had to discipline myself on how many times I go there, as dropping $100 seems far to easy, but I am getting a deal...right? Not necessarily.

There are many things at warehouse clubs that are a deal, but there are many items that are not. Tip #1: One thing to consider when buying things in bulk at a warehouse club is, "Can I/we consume this before it goes bad?" Having to throw food away eliminates the deal. I ran across a blog that listed what items are consistently a better deal at Costco or Sams Club and are a good thing to stock up on. Click HERE to look at that list. I noticed that there are some things I buy at Costco that are not on the list, but in considering what to do, I decided that even though I may be spending a little more money, I am getting the quality I like and I will still continue to buy those items. Tip #2: Your personal quality preference is something that needs to be considered.

Although I was unable to find a comprehensive list of specific items to get at Sams Club, I think you can generally use the same list (Sams Club even sells some items cheaper). I did come across a price list that someone had come up with. Click HERE to get to her blog and the list can be found on the left sidebar.

Hope this info is helpful!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Perfect! This is exactly what I needed! I have realized that many things at Costco are not the great deal that I always thought they were. But some things I do love, and this will help me determine if they are worth it. Thanks so much!