Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year, New Progress


A new year always seems to bring new resolutions. One of my resolutions is to really get this blog up and going again and increase its readership. In order to help me accomplish this goal, I am going to take the approach I did when I taught food storage cooking classes, which is...focus on one specific area per month. I hope this will give me the necessary direction and motivation I need, and will also increase the posts I put up each month. Some of the posts will be focused on long term food storage, but we will also be discussing getting a three-month supply, lowering your food budget by using coupons and/or maximizing what is on sale at the store you shop at, increasing your financial reserve, etc.

There is no better time than the present to make an assessment of where we are in our temporal security and make a plan.

This first month will be focused on...the resources that are out there to help us build our food storage, regardless of our personal budgets.

"When it comes to implementing a successful home storage program, the most important step is to start. With the beginning of a new year, now is the perfect time for individuals and families to review the First Presidency's guidelines on home storage in the pamphlet All is Safely Gathered In. The First Presidency encourages all Church members to gradually establish a three-month supply of food, store drinking water, set aside a financial reserve, and when possible, eventually increase home storage to a longer-term supply. By following these simple guidelines, Church members can prayerfully consider their circumstances and set one goal to begin or continue their own home storage program. As we prepare ourselves and our families for trials and adversity, we will receive temproal security and be able to 'provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience.' "

~Ensign, January 2009, pg.68

3 comments:

Church Fam said...

You are the one that helped me start my food storage and I will never forget my first bread baking with you. Thanks for still inspiring me.
love ya

Ken and Laena + 6 said...

How cool is this blog!! Thanks for doing it, I am excited to find out new ideas and finds. Thanks again!

Blue said...

Hi Jackie, I think you're awesome, and like Tiff, my itty bitty foray into getting "prepared" has been inspired by your gentle encouragement. Even though I haven't gotten to bake bread with you ;-)

I don't know if you've seen this site, but thought you might enjoy peeking at it.

http://funwithfoodstorage.net/