Thursday, March 26, 2009

Where would I start...


I was asked a few weeks ago where one should start if they were just beginning their food storage. My mind became instantly flooded with all sorts of information and when I began talking, I think I was more confusing than helpful. I have spent a lot of time thinking about it since then, and if someone were to ask me that question right now I would say this...

I would begin my storage in two ways. First, in following recent counsel found in "All Is Safely Gathered In", I would build my three month supply slowly each week with everyday items purchased at the grocery store. There are many resources out there to help you get more for less, therefore putting you in a position to build up a storage without spending a lot of money. I personally do this by going to GrocerySmarts.com to see what items received a 5-star stock up rating. If those items are things my family uses on a regular basis, I stock up. The service is free and includes all sale items in each store's flyer. I also check the Deals to Meals "Tip of the Week" sheet. The sheet is nice because it focuses on items that are good to store in the pantry or the freezer. This site does have a membership fee of $4.95 a month, but they do offer a two week free trial, so give them a try and see if it something that is helpful to you. You can also check out PinchingYourPennies.com, weeklyshoppingguide.blogspot.com or krazycouponlady.blogspot.com to get a heads up on good deals.

Second, I would start to store items that allow me to make bread. Wheat, oil, honey, dough enhancer, yeast, salt, and vital wheat gluten are the ingredients for the bread I make. I store these things in abundance. You will also want to consider a wheat grinder. If you have the financial resources, it is a good investment, as is a good mixer. There are many out there and they range in price from around $269.00-$140.00 for the electric variety. I could go into detail about the different grinders, but I will spare you, unless there is a need and I would be happy to devote a post to it. If you do not feel you could afford purchasing a grinder on your own, what about going in on one with family members or close neighbors, perhaps someone you know has one and would be willing to grind your wheat for you.

Start with wheat, Macey's recently sold it for $18.99 already packaged in a 6-gallon bucket. The Bosch Kitchen Center (on Highland Dr.) is having a great sale on wheat and other storage items April 4th & 5th with high protein white wheat for only $15.50 if you purchase 12+ bags (go in with some friends if you don't need that many) and if you go from 8:30 am-10:00 am on Saturday, April 5th you get .45 off each bag of wheat (if you have bought 12). That is a great price. (If you would like to view their ad, click HERE). If you do not live in Utah, you can order online from Honeyville Grain or see if there is an LDS Cannery in your area...wheat and other storage items are ALWAYS inexpensive there.

So, that is where I would start...stocking up at the grocery store each week for regular foods and buying items to make bread. If there is anyone reading this that has been frustrated, not knowing where to begin, I hope this is helpful. If anyone has any particular questions, I hope you won't hesitate to ask!!

2 comments:

Blue said...

i love this blog jackie! i feel like you're inspired to write about all the things i need to hear...even if i didn't know i needed to hear it before.

thanks for this post. i'm feeling inspired.

i did have a question about wheat grinders. i own a vitamix. i don't have the dry blade container though...the one that can grind grains and make dough. i was wondering if you've heard anything about using the vitamix blender as a wheat grinder. i've watched the video on their website http://www.vitamix.com/ (click the "grinding grains" video)
and it looks convincing enough. i just wondered if anyone has any feedback or personal experience. the dry container that i'd need to buy at this point is $144. I'm debating the merits of going with this, versus the mill you have. i am looking at a used container on ebay which is currently at $52 and is stainless steel (older model but fits my machine) plus $15 shipping. much higher and it's pointless to buy it used. anyway, if you have any thoughts on this, let me know.

thanks again for your expertise! ♥

Jac said...

Julia, I am so glad the blog has been helpful! In reference to your question, I had not previously heard of the grinding feature of the VitaMix, although I have seem them demonstrated at Costco...they seem fantastic. In deciding what type of grinder to get, it would depend on how much I was wanting make bread. If it was just an occasional thing, where I was going to just be making one loaf at a time, I am sure the VitaMix would do the trick. It is clearly a very powerful mixer/blender, but I think its abilities to be a "bread maker" would have some limitations.
If my goals were to start making all of my own bread or even just most of it, I would probably put my money into something that is designed for grinding wheat and other grains. Many of these mills come with a limited lifetime guarantee (like the VitaMill and the Nutrimill)and would allow you to grind a lot of wheat in a short time.
I hope that helps...if not, call me!!