Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tips From The Coop

WHERE WE STARTED

Jac answered a questioned last week that I have been asked at times. Where do I start?

I thought I would add my thoughts to this topic.

At first, storing food seems like a large task. But really it can be broken down into simple steps. At least it has for my family.

I will seem like a broken record, but having enough stored food to make your favorite meals for three months is the best way to start. This took our family about a year to do, when we were first married.

Step two for us was to organize all the information and make a plan for long term storage. As a result, I created a planner that suited our family (Jac has a copy of our planner on this blog called the “basic planner” and the “planner plus). Once we had a plan, an actual list of items to include in our storage, it was very easy to set aside long term storage. This has taken our family about 3 years.

The last step for us is the tweaking. Keeping quantities current and changing what we store based on our preferences is simple with a good planner that can be kept up to date easily.

Finally, I would encourage all of you that read this blog to write a little about your progress on the blog. Do you have three months set aside? Have you begun to store long term food? It is very helpful to all of us to work together.

No comments: