Friday, March 13, 2009

Your 3-Month Supply

"Your Own Little Slice of Heaven"
A little cheesy, but when I think of my fresh grown garden vegetables...that is the phrase that comes to mind.

We have talked a bit about gardening already and although it is a seasonal portion of your 3-month supply (unless you grow enough for home canning) I think it is definitely something worth talking about in more detail.

As I was preparing dinner last night, I noticed how much of my meal I could grow myself. That was an exciting thought. As I am planning what to grow (in my limited space) I realized what a benefit it would be to look at the meals I prepare regularly and identify what of those food ingredients could I grow on my own. For salads, I can easily grow lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots. I can grow potatoes for a tasty main or side dish. I can grow onions to add flavor to many of my family's favorites dishes. I can grow squash, beans, and peas and accent them all with a variety of herbs. Some of my favorite herbs to grow are Basil for fresh pesto or Caprese Salad, Cilantro for salsa, Rosemary for potatoes and Thyme for Chicken, Parsley for Lentil Soup, and Dill and Mint for some tasty rice dishes. The possibilities are endless.

For many, the thought of gardening is a little intimidating. I think it is intimidating and there is a serious learning curve, which is why I can't wait for spring to arrive each year in hopes that this years garden will be better than the last.

So where to start...?

After planning what you would like to grow (based on food preference and planting space), it is important to know when to plant what. If you live in a climate similar to most of Utah, right now you can be planting lettuce, spinach, peas, radishes, cucumbers and many more. After the last frost, you can plant tomatoes, squash, pumpkins, corn, peppers. For a detailed list of planting times for most of Utah click HERE. Worried about pests ruining your produce and want to know how to best get rid of them? Click HERE. If you want to know when to plant and you don't live in Utah...click HERE.

Keep in mind that you don't need to have a big garden plot in order to grow your own produce. You can allocate a small square in your lawn, find a sunny border bed, use a pot on your front or back porch. You can even grow some things inside...read Al's comment on herb gardening indoors by clicking HERE. Check at your local library for information on Square Foot Gardening or go to http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ to learn ways to grow lots of produce in a little space.

Now is the time to start planning and planting... let me know how your garden grows!

2 comments:

Church Fam said...

I am such a want a be gardener. I am just now starting to learn how to grow here in AZ. I love reading your blog because it inspires me to get off my rear and start doing.
Today I am planning on planting some citrus trees.

Danielle&Lincoln said...

Good thing we are Neigbors so I can just steal from your garden!! he he