Monday, October 12, 2009

Handy Food Substitutions

Within the last few months I have had many opportunities to try my hand at food substitutions. Like HERE when I was making Chocolate Zucchini Cake or HERE when I was making Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls. So when I recently learned a new trick for making Baking Powder, I thought I would just post about a slew of them for the next few days.

image via bigoven.com

Buttermilk Substitution (1 cup)

1 T. vinegar or lemon juice + milk to make 1 cup.

Let stand for 5 minutes.



image via blisstree.com



Brown Sugar Substitution

1 cup white sugar

1-4 T. molasses (use 2 for light brown sugar)

Mix together with a wire whisk until well incorporated.



image via bbcgoodfood.com

Baking Powder Substitution

1/4 t. baking soda + 1/2 t. cream of tarter.

Mix just before use, cannot be stored.

Handy Food Storage Tip: Instead of storing large quantities of baking powder (which has a short shelf life), store baking soda (stored air tight) and cream of tarter (stored tightly sealed) in a dark place and they can store indefinitely. That is my kind of storage!







Sour Cream Substitution (1 cup)
For baking: 7/8 cup buttermilk or sour milk plus 3 tablespoons butter
Dips: 1 cup cottage cheese plus 1/4 cup yogurt or buttermilk, briefly whirled in a blender.

or
1 cup milk + 1/2 T vinegar


3 comments:

Marianne said...

This is definitely good information for me because I am usually without one of these ingredients. How long is the shelf life of molasses? And how long does regular brown sugar store?

Jac said...

It depends on who you talk to, but if molasses is stored in a cool, dark place, it can store indefinitely. Sugars are wonderful that way.

Brown Sugar can store far beyond the "best by" date, but the quality degrades.

So it is really up to you what to store. After using homemade brown sugar it is hard for me to go back and use the store bought stuff.

Suzanne said...

Those are great! Who knew that you could do so much substituting? Brilliant. As soon as my brown sugar runs out, I am making my own. I'm dying to try it...especially with the whole wheat cinnamon rolls...