Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Baby Steps Part 2

Tip #2
Set Realistic Goals and Continue To Build On Those Goals

I have been reading a book entitled "Food Storage 101, Where Do I Begin?" by Peggy Layton. In it she discusses taking particular steps in a particular order when obtaining your food supply. It starts with just simply finding a place to store, then it moves on to creating shelving, then obtaining alternate cooking equipment...finally leading to a home grocery store. It is not done all at once, it is done step by step.

One thing I have done is take a good look at what I have and decide what areas make me feel vulnerable. I have a great space, I have some good shelving (although I need a few more shelves), I have a decent supply of food but I haven't stored "meals". That is something I need to work on. I also need to purchase some canning equipment that will help me convert my summer harvest into winter eats. I also need to store garden seeds.

This is what I am going to focus on for the next few months. There is A LOT more I need to do, but this is a good start and gives me the satisfaction of "moving forward." I believe these are realistic goals and when I have accomplished these ones, I will move on to the next.

Like I always say...two steps forward and one step back is still progress.

Such is life!!!

No comments: