Monday, May 18, 2009

Baby Steps

I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately. Nothing specific...just a lot of little things that have left me emotionally tired. So it didn't help when I was watching "NIGHTLINE" the other night and watched a story on a "Doomsday Lady". This particular woman, by her own admission, believes that we are at the beginning of the end. She no longer drives a car because she doesn't want to be dependant on gas, she heats her home with one small wood burning stove, and she tries her best to live off her land so she is in control of her own food supply. She is an extremist. She knows it. I know it...but it got me all worked up and nervous.

Then, I went to the grocery store on Saturday and as I filled up my cart...thought of my own dependency on the grocery store and felt those twinges of panic. Unfortunately, I let those feelings fester through the night..."Can we truly store ALL we will need?", "I don't have an endless supply of money, I am limited in what I can purchase each month...what if I run out of time?", "When it really comes down to it...do I really know WHAT we need?", "THIS IS SO OVERWHELMING!!" Have any of you had these thoughts? Does "getting prepared" seem so overwhelming and impossible at times that you just do nothing? You are not alone...I feel that way at times. And it is at those times I have to take a step back and breathe...and come back to reality and remember that I can only do what I can do...and that is enough. Truly.

Due to the fact I am currently refocusing myself...I thought I would devote a few posts on how to get back on track when you become overwhelmed.

Tip#1
Keep reminding yourself of the goal. It is so easy to lose our focus. Our lives are busy and with all we have going on it is easy to get focused on other things and lose sight of the goals we have set for ourselves. If you set reasonable goals and keep those goals in the forefront of your mind (and maybe a post it note on your fridge) you will not only slowly be able to build up a supply, but will be filled with a sense of satisfaction each month as you accomplish what you set out to do.

1 comment:

Blue said...

some words from my favorite hymn come to mind:

"fear not, i am with thee
oh be not dismayed
for i am thy god
and will still give the aid
i'll strengthen thee,
help thee,
and cause thee to stand
upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand."

i've always loved this hymn. the last 4 verses are also profound, though they don't ever get air time at church.

i love your blog! ♥