Friday, May 22, 2009

Your 3-Month Supply

Container Gardening



Introducing my new baby...my container herb garden! It sits right outside my kitchen on my very ugly patio. My trellis' have taken a bit of a back seat while I am waiting for things to grow, so in the meantime I am giving most of my time and attention to this beauty. I have always wanted to plant some sort of produce in a container, I just haven't gotten around to it. But this was my year! I chose herbs because 1. I like herbs and 2. I have heard that if you grow your herbs close to your kitchen you are more likely to actually use them in your cooking.

I have planted herbs every year, down in my grow box, and they just grow and grow all summer...that is it. Just grow. I never seem to use them, I guess I am just too lazy to walk down my back steps to get them. So, I thought I would try something new.

What I needed...

1 big container (I got a great wood one from Home Depot for under $25)

1 bag of potting soil ( I used one, 2 cubic foot, bag)

Plants (this year I planted basil, thyme, rosemary, Italian parsley, and a green pepper plant in the middle)

That's it!

If you are interested in a container herb garden I found some great information on the USU extension site. They talk about what herbs grow well in containers, what size of containers you will need, and the best way to plant and care for your herb garden. Click HERE to get to their site.

And I came across the most fantastic bread recipe the other day that uses herbs. Just wait until you see it! It is seriously the coolest looking loaf of bread I have ever seen! My rosemary will be spectacular in this thing! When you click the link, scroll down a bit to get to the bread.

Here is the link...http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/05/the-bread-in-his-words/

Enjoy!!

5 comments:

Marianne said...

That bread did look tasty...I wish I had a pot like that to cook it in! I'm a crappy gardener, but I bet I could do herbs on my patio too! Is it too late to plant them?

Jac said...

There is still plenty of time to plant a little herb garden! Just find a nice sunny spot (preferably one that gets late afternoon and evening shade) and you are on your way!!

Suzanne said...

123I can't believe that you can plant so many herbs in one pot. What a great idea! Maybe if I planted herbs, I would start cooking! They could inspire different meals...hmmm, something to ponder.

That bread looks so yummy! I'll wait for you to make it, and I'll test it at your house. Way to go Pioneer Woman! (You are kind-of like Pioneer Woman #2, you know)

Suzanne said...

Okay, not quite sure where that 123 came from. Sorry.

Blue said...

tomorrow is yard work day. maybe i'll get around to planting my basil seeds finally. all my heirloom tomato plants are apparently dying. mail order stinks. or i do, as a gardner. :-(