Friday, April 17, 2009

Your 3-Month Supply

I recently finished a large container of Taco Seasoning (that I bought at Costco) that I have had in my cupboard for years...well, at least two. My family loves tacos, but even with fairly regular use, it has taken us awhile to get through it. As time has gone on, I have found it necessary to add a bit more seasoning than suggested to get a decent taco flavor.
Last week I opened up a fresh new container for a tasty batch of taco salads. I took my first bite...I think fire shot out of my mouth and my nose ran like a faucet. The seasoning seemed SO intense! Clearly the seasoning is the same...my taste buds are just different. I had gotten used to the "past its prime" seasoning bottle.

Why would I bring up this story? Seasonings and Spices are a critical part to your 3-month supply. They can turn something ordinary and bland into something very palatable. One thing to consider though, is shelf life.

Most ground seasonings can last 3 to 5 years unopened (whole spices will last longer). But once you open it, the quality starts to degrade. Within a year, you no longer have the flavor you started with. So, do you throw away your spices after a year? No, but just make sure and store seasonings in bottles small enough that your family can go through them in a relatively short amount of time. If you use a lot of certain seasonings...i.e. I use cinnamon like it is going out of style... store it in big containers. Otherwise, buy it in the smaller containers at the grocery store so they can stay sealed up longer and be ready for you when you need them. Stores like Walmart, Smiths and Dans all have lower priced spices that can be purchased for as low as $1 for a decent size bottle.

No comments: